This webinar, from the Special Interest Group on Culture and Sexuality, was held on the 29th of July, 2022. The topic is Culture and the Prevention of Sexual Violence. It was presented by prof. Vasudeo Paralikar from KEM Hospital Research Centre, Puna, India, and his collaborators.
SAVE THE DATE – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2022
FAMILY & CULTURE SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
Co-Chairs: Vincenzo Di Nicola and Riyadh Al-Baldawi
“Insider/Outsider Perspectives on Religious/Spiritual Beliefs
on Therapeutic Process”
Exploring therapeutic intersections with families whose spiritual/religious lived experiences
are at odds with professional formulations
Presenter: Anjali Joseph
Family Therapist, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Discussant: Charlotte Clous
Medical Anthropologist, The Netherlands
There will be a short presentation to frame the issues, followed by a town hall discussion
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2022
11:00 AM-12:30 PM ET (New York time) – 17:00-18:30 PM CET
Saturday, September 17, 2022 @15:00, Rotterdam, World Trade Center
- Roberto Lewis-Fernández received the Wen-Shing Tseng Lifetime Award, in recognition of outstanding leadership and professional achievement in cultural psychiatry (introduced and awarded by Mario Braakman)
- Meryam Schouler-Ocak received the Pioneering Working in Cultural Psychiatry Award, in recognition of ground-breaking contributions to cultural psychiatry (introduced and awarded by Muthoni Mathai)
- Hans Rohlof received the Seva Award, in recognition of selfless, exemplary service to WACP and contributions to cultural psychiatry (introduced and awarded by Vittorio De Luca)
- Roberto Lewis-Fernández, on behalf of Pablo Farias, received the Seva Award, in recognition of selfless, exemplary service to WACP and contributions to cultural psychiatry (introduced by Roberto Lewis-Fernández himself)
- Hans Rohlof, on behalf of Nikolai Bokhan, received the Pioneering Working in Cultural Psychiatry Award, in recognition of ground-breaking contributions to cultural psychiatry (introduced by Vittorio De Luca) and pronounced a speech on behalf of N. Bokhan.
- Hans Rohlof, on behalf of Jie Li, received the 2022 Book Award, in recognition of outstanding scientific and literary competency expressed in publications on Cultural Psychiatry (introduced by Vittorio De Luca) and pronounced a speech on behalf of Jie Li.
- Muthoni Mathai received the Creative Education in Cultural Psychiatry Award, in recognition of innovative training and dissemination efforts in Cultural Psychiatry (introduced by Lisa Anderman).
- Vincenzo Di Nicola received the Creative Education in Cultural Psychiatry Award, in recognition of innovative training and dissemination efforts in Cultural Psychiatry (introduced by Lisa Anderman).
- Samrad Ghane, on behalf of Sushrut Jadhav & Roland Littlewood, received the Goffredo Bartocci Special Award In recognition of exceptional achievements in Cultural Psychiatry (introduced by Vittorio De Luca).
- Kamaldeep Bhui, on behalf of Dinesh Bhugra, received the Kamaldeep Bhui Academic Award, in recognition of outstanding academic accomplishments in Cultural Psychiatry (introduced by Vittorio De Luca).
- Vera Mohwinkel received from Kamaldeep Bhui, chair of the Poster Award Committee, the 2022 Poster Award Winner, in recognition of impact, clarity and scientific significance for Cultural Psychiatry” for her poster ‘Findings from a German clinical study: Refugees’ Pathways to Mental Health Care’.
2022 WACP Awards Committee
Vittorio De Luca (chair)
Muthoni Mathai(except for nr.7)
Recently, a new Board of Directors of the WACP was chosen. We will therefore soon change the website.
As preliminary news, here are already the names:
Mario Braakman, The Netherlands, President. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/mario-braakman/..
Byamah Mutamba, Uganda, Secretary. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/byamah-brian-mutamba/
Pablo Farias, Mexico, Treasurer. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/pablo-j-farias/
Muhammad Irfan, Pakistan, President-Elect. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/muhammad-irfan/
Roberto Lewis-Fernández, USA, Past President. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/roberto-lewis-fernandez/
Rest of the Board of Directors:
Itsuo Asai, Japan. He will organise the next WACP-conference in 2025 in Tokyo.
Xudong Zhao, China.https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/xudong-zhao/
Carlos Zubaran, Australia.https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/carlos-zubaran/
Vincenzo Di Nicola, Canada.
Kenneth Fung, Canada.https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/kenneth-fung/
Lisa Andermann, Canada.https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/lisa-andermann/
Alberto Velasco, France.https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/alberto-velasco/
Riyadh Al-Baldawi, Sweden/ Iraq.
Meryam Schouler-Ocak, Germany. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/meryam-schouler-ocak/
Irina Kupyanova, Russia. She will be appointed as Advisor to the Board. https://waculturalpsy.org/portfolio-item/irina-kupriyanova/
The videos of our Travel Award Winners of the 2022 WACP conference in Rotterdam, the Netherlands are available on YouTube.
Have a look, and have a preview of the lectures they will give on the conference:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrawaGUzsEe9kzHSRA-51g
Registration at the conference, from the 14th till the 17th of September, 2022, is still possible: https://www.wacp2022.org/
WACP FREE WEBINAR
FRIDAY, 29TH JULY 2022
7:30 PM IST – 2 PM UTC – 10 AM EDT
Organized by Special Interest Group on Culture and Sexuality
Chair: Dr. Vasudeo Paralikar
Topics and Presenters:
- Introduction to sexuality in Indian context – Dr Ujjwal Nene, Clinical Psychologist; Sexual Health Consultant
- Role of Socio-cultural Assessments in Prevention of Sexual Violence – Ms Ankita Deshmukh, Clinical Psychologist
- Indian program for the primary prevention of sexual violence against children – Dr Suchita Agrawal, Psychiatrist
- Participant comments and discussion
Registration and Zoom Link:
The videos of the webinar on the Care for Refugees, specially from Ukraine have been published. This webinar, which was held on the 19th of May, was called: Lessons learned from hosting and helping war refegees: from Bosnians to Ukrainians. Stevan Weine and Julia Bala were the lecturers, and in the discussion also Ewa Dobiala, psychiatrist from Poland, joined.
Of the videos, there are two versions;
In English: https://youtu.be/HJ2qOzDucZE
In simultaneous Ukrainian translation: https://youtu.be/Y_P7SlVUgJE
The early bird registration for the 6th World Congress of Cultural Psychiatry of the World Association of Cultural Psychiatry (WACP2022) in Rotterdam has been extended to July 15th. WACP2022 will be held from the 15th to the 17th of September at the Postillion World Convention Center, preconference workshops are on September 14th. Opportunities for registration, travel and accomodation, and the program are on the congress website www.wacp2022.org.
The program includes over 200 symposia, oral presentations, workshops and posters from all continents. Theme of the congress is: “The Cultural Perspective in Psychiatry: Moving Forward to Meet the Needs of a Globalizing Society.” WACP2022 also offers a social program including guided tours, expositions and dinner in the city of Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Travel Award Contest
To promote participation from low and middle-income countries, the WACP has awarded twelve competitors to the Travel Award Contest. The list of winners from Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Namibia, Nepal, Pakistan, and South-Africa is available on www.wacp2022.org.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward seeing you all in 2022 at Postillion Convention Center WTC Rotterdam!
To all members and friends of the WACP
The registration to the Rotterdam conference from 15 till 17 september, 2022, is open from today, the 19th of May, 2022. The Early Bird registration will only last till the 16th of June, 2022! Registration to the Pre Conference Workshops on the 14th of Sepember will open later.
For more information see: www.wacp2022.org
Family & Culture Special Interest Group (SIG)
SIG Co-chairs: Vincenzo Di Nicola & Riyadh Al-Baldawi
World Association of Cultural Psychiatry (WACP)
WACP President: Roberto Lewis-Fernández
Dear Colleague and Friend,
The Family & Culture Special Interest Group (SIG) of the World Association of Cultural Psychiatry (WACP) would like to invite you to a virtual work meeting on June 11, 2022 @1 pm EDT.
Meeting ID: 502 954 0422
The aim of this meeting is to plan a program for our future events for the Family & Culture SIG. We are reaching out to you to help us with your expertise and clinical experiences to put those topics you want us to treat in our future programs.
Our intention as co-founders of this SIG is to convene colleagues interested in families and culture together to share their clinical experiences and inform us about new models and forms of family intervention they are using in their clinical practices.
Doing therapy with families is complex and needs to include a number of theoretical models as well as knowledge of the family’s socio-cultural and religious background, among other key variables, requiring an understanding of the character of their problem and an understanding of how family members work to solve these problems.
International migration (both forced and voluntary forms) makes the displacement of the family from their home socio-cultural environment to a new one at the host country is often a huge social challenge. This process brings many challenges to the family’s internal and external relations and resources. To deal with all these challenges, the family usually need support and professional help from culturally-informed experts. Psychiatric problems within migrant families could be another critical social challenge where many families need specialized help to deal with these challenges.
We would like to include in our future program wider topics on family intervention where theoretical and practical clinical experiences complement each other. We hope that your active participation at our coming work meeting will help to achieve this target. We are looking to encourage wider group of professionals working with the families in our future program and activities.
We look forward to meeting you at this upcoming planning meeting.
Please confirm your participation by email to us:
Vincenzo Di Nicola: email@example.com
Hans Rohlof: firstname.lastname@example.org